How To Clean Your Child’s Favourite Teddy Bear
Babies and young children tend to suck on the soft fur of the teddy bears, and in times of sickness, when they hug to the teddy bear for comfort, germs can be transferred easily. As such, it is important that we clean the teddy bear as often as you normally would with your pillows.
The best way to do this is to:
1. First, read the care label to find out any cleaning advice, if any.
2. Apply a small amount of liquid laundry detergent to a microfiber cloth and test on a small area of your teddy bear first before cleaning the whole bear.
3. Gently dab the stain away.
4. Once done, rinse the area by using a clean, damp cloth but be careful to not let the toy get too saturated with either the water or the detergent.
5. Let the clean teddy bear air dry.
How Do You Clean a Teddy Bear in the Washing Machine?
Before using the washing machine, be sure to read the washing label carefully! Some teddy bears and soft toys should not be machine washed, even on a delicate cycle – like teddy bears made from natural fibers like wool.
For those soft toys that are safe to put in the machine, follow these instructions:
1. Remove any loose items of fabric from the bear so it does not gets tangled in the washer.
2. Repair any holes and remove any hanging threads.
3. Place the bear in a net bag designed for washing delicates, or a pillowcase.
4. Wash in warm to cool water on a delicate or hand-wash cycle with a delicate liquid laundry detergent.
5. Avoid hot water washes as these can damage the fabric of your bear.
Once washed, use a towel to squeeze any excess water out and lay it flat in the sun to dry.
Now you have a clean teddy bear for your child!
To find out more about laundry detergent and how to use it properly, read our Complete Laundry Guide here.