How to Remove Rust from Iron and Bathroom Surfaces
Iron furnishings in kitchens and bathrooms are most prone to rust due to the close proximity of water. This guide will provide you with some methods to remove rust from your home furnishings, but we will recommend that you first give the surfaces a good clean to help differentiate between dirt and rust. This will make it easier for you to identify and remove rust stains.
Removing Rust Stains from Countertops and Floors made of Linoleum
- Scrub at the rust with a cloth soaked in a solution of warm water and liquid detergent. Then, rinse the area and let it dry.
- If the rust is stubborn, use a commercial rust stain remover. Make sure you read the instruction label carefully and exercise precaution by donning protection masks and gloves. This is because rust removers often contain powerful chemicals. It is best to use these products in a well-ventilated area, and ensure that the product is rinsed off completely after use.
- You can also try making a homemade rust stain remover by mixing a tablespoon of cream of tartar with two tablespoons of water to form a paste. Apply the paste to the affected area, scrub well and rinse off with water.
How to Remove Rust from Iron
- Take a small piece of aluminium foil.
- Dip it in water or vinegar.
- Rub the rust stain with the foil. This facilitates the transfer of electrons between the two metals, which will aid in the reversion of the rusting process.
How to Remove Rust on Ceramics and Porcelain Surfaces
- Rub a wet pumice stone on the rust stains.
- Leave the area to dry before using a rust stain remover.
- Alternatively, you can make your own homemade rust remover by mixing some lemon with Borax or cream of tartar to form a paste. Apply it to the rust and leave it for five minutes before scrubbing it in with an old toothbrush. To get the best results, add some more lemon juice to the rust stains and cover the area with salt. Leave it for a few hours to dry before scrubbing it off.
- Finally, rinse the area with warm water to remove the rust remover completely.